Skip Navigation
search: People | Departments | Penn State | Web
Penn State mark
Penn State mark
University Bulletin
Graduate Degree Programs


Students who plan to graduate at the end of the current semester/session are responsible for indicating an intent to graduate. A student must initiate an intent to graduate via eLion during the designated period for that semester. Any changes to a student’s graduation status after this time period must be made by contacting Graduate Enrollment Services at 814-865-1795.

Students who have been removed from the graduation list will need to initiate their intent to graduate again for the semester in which they plan to graduate.

A preliminary graduation list is prepared and reviewed by Graduate Enrollment Services soon after the deadline for each semester or summer session. Accepted theses, master’s papers, and project reports are noted as may be relevant. The records of candidates who appear to have met requirements are forwarded to major and minor department heads or program chairs for review and recommendation. The final list of approved candidates appears in the fall, spring, or summer commencement program.

Only those transfer credits that have been accepted by the Graduate School and entered upon the student’s transcript before the graduation deadline will be considered in evaluating a student for graduation at the end of that particular semester or summer session.

The University holds commencement exercises for graduate students three times a year: at the end of the fall and spring semesters and at the end of the summer session. Attendance at commencement exercises is expected. Diplomas are mailed to all students unable to participate in the commencement exercises. Information is available at the Office of the University Registrar, 112 Shields Building, or by accessing the Registrar's website at (Opens New Window).

Even though the student’s name may appear in the commencement program, no degrees are conferred until final grade reports have been received and all requirements fulfilled. A student’s transcript or diploma, or both, may be withheld until any outstanding financial obligations to the University have been paid.


Look up course abbreviations

Course descriptions are stored in LionPATH, the University-wide student information system. Please visit the LionPATH Course Catalog to access current course descriptions. At that point, you will be leaving the University Bulletin website.

Skip Popular Searches
  1. Graduate Course Descriptions
  2. Graduate Programs
  3. Doctoral Degree Requirements
  4. Master's Degree Requirements
  5. Application and Admission Procedures
  6. Credit Certificate Programs
  7. General Information
  8. Tuition and Cost
  9. Intercollege
  10. Academic Information and Procedures