Skip Navigation
search: People Opens New Window | Departments Opens New Window | Penn State Opens New Window | Web Opens New Window
Penn State mark
Penn State mark
University Bulletin
Undergraduate Degree Programs

Agricultural Sciences

Begin Date: Fall Semester 2006
End Date: Summer Session 2012

International Agriculture Minor - ARCHIVE

University Park, College of Agricultural Sciences (INTAG)

This minor is an interdisciplinary program of study designed to enable students to (1) gain an awareness and appreciation for the interrelationship and interdependency of the nations of the world for their food and fiber; (2) gain an awareness of the resources available to solve problems in international agriculture; and (3) recognize systems of learning transfer and understand the impact of technological transfer across cultures.

This minor may be combined with any undergraduate major in the University. It requires 18 credits in addition to the baccalaureate degree and departmental major requirements of the student's choice. Some courses require prerequisites not included in the minor. Foreign language competence is highly recommended. A grade of C or better is required for all courses in the minor.

Students may apply for admission to the minor by completing and submitting an application for admission to Dr. Tom Gill, Office of International Programs, College of Agricultural Sciences, 106 Administration Building, University Park campus. A signature from the student's major program adviser is required. For more information, contact Dr. Tom Gill, Assistant Director of International Programs, at 814-865-8309 or; or Dr. Leif Jensen, Distinguished Professor of Rural Sociology and Sociology, at

A grade of C or better is required for all courses in the minor. Students must have 6 credits of 400-level course work for the minor.

Scheduling Recommendation by Semester Standing given like (Sem: 1-2)


Option 1: Students are given the option of participating in a semester study abroad program that would be discussed and approved by the INTAG coordinator and the student's academic advisor. Minimum requirement is 18 credits. The semester study abroad program needs to focus on courses within the food, agriculture or natural resources areas.

Option 2: Students may elect to take 18 course credits from the following list:

INTAG 100 GS;IL(3), INTAG 481(3) or AEE 400(3) (with the travel component) (Sem: 3-4,7-8)

Select courses from three of the four categories:
Category 1: Economics & Social Systems
 CED 450 IL(3), GEOG 123 GS;IL(3), NUTR/S T S 430 IL(3), R SOC 327(3), R SOC/WMNST/CED 420 US;IL(3) (Sem: 1-8)
Category 2: Education, Communication, & Language
AEE 400(3), AEE 440(3), AEE 450(3), AYFCE 455(3), Any University language skill development course (Sem: 1-8)
Category 3: Animal & Plant Systems
AGECO 134 GN(3), AGRO 028(3), AN SC 201(4), SOILS 101 GN(3) (Sem: 1-8)
Category 4: Natural Resources and Environment
B E 300(3), FOR 418 US;IL(3), FOR 488W(3) (Sem: 1-8)

INTAG 296(1-18), INTAG 297(1-9), INTAG 298(1-9), INTAG 397(1-9), INTAG 398(1-9), INTAG 399, INTAG 495(1-13), INTAG 496(1-18), INTAG 497(1-9), INTAG 498(1-9), INTAG 499 IL(1-12) (Sem: 1-8)

Last Revised by the Department: Summer Session 2006

Blue Sheet Item #: 34-01-006

Review Date: 8/30/05

UCA Revision #2: 7/27/07


Contact information updated: 1/5/12


Look up course abbreviations

Course descriptions are stored in LionPATH, the University-wide student information system. Please visit the LionPATH Course Catalog to access current course descriptions. At that point, you will be leaving the University Bulletin website.

Skip Popular Searches
  1. Bachelor of Arts Degree Requirements
  2. General Education: United States Cultures and International Cultures
  3. Course Index
  4. Graduate Degree Programs Bulletin
  5. General Education: Arts
  6. General Education: Humanities
  7. General Education: Health and Physical Activity
  8. General Education: Natural Sciences
  9. General Education: Social and Behavioral Sciences
  10. General Education: Writing/Speaking