Organizational Communication Theory and Research (3) Explores the nature and functions of communication in organizations; emphasis on writing and exploring concepts, tools, and skills for effective management of communication.
CAS 452W Organization Communication Theory and Research (3)
This course is designed to further introduce you to the field of Organizational Communication. Emphasis is placed on macro-organizational variables that can systematically affect micro-communication behaviors: in other words, how could something like the hierarchy of the organization influence who you talk with as an organizational employee. The purpose of the course is to provide you with a basic understanding of communication-relevant behaviors and activities in organizations. This includes things like leadership, teamwork, conflict management, and diversity. Additionally, we will examine various theories of and approaches to studying communication within organizations. My hope is that when you've successfully completed the course you've mastered these objectives:
- Develop a vocabulary and understanding of organizational communication concepts.
- Become familiar with the historical, current, and future issues and problems facing organizations.
- Apply theoretical perspectives and concepts to organizational situations and settings.
- Identify and understand the relationships between macro (e.g. structure and hierarchy) and micro (e.g. social support and stress) organizational communication variables.
- Experience locating, reading, synthesizing, and evaluating scholarly research appropriate for organizational communication phenomena.
Note : Class size, frequency of offering, and evaluation methods will vary by location and instructor. For these details check the specific course syllabus.