Skip Navigation
search: People Opens New Window | Departments Opens New Window | Penn State Opens New Window | Web Opens New Window
Penn State mark
Penn State mark
University Bulletin
Undergraduate Degree Programs

These course descriptions are not being updated as of August 1, 2016. Current course descriptions are maintained in LionPATH.

Integrative Arts (INART)

INART 010 (GA) The Popular Arts in America: Mass Media Arts (3) An introduction to the arts of the mass media with emphasis on how film, radio, television, and the print media influence and reflect society.

INART 010 The Popular Arts in America: Mass Media Arts (3)
(GA)

(BA) This course meets the Bachelor of Arts degree requirements.

INART 010 examines the history and form of the popular arts as antecedents for the development of the mass media arts of 21st century America. The primary goal of the course is to help students develop a critical and analytical approach to dealing with contemporary mass media. The course presupposes some familiarity with modern popular media and takes as its content both historical and contemporary examples as sources for analysis. While the class offers facts and data, the central focus of the course in the theory, stylistic elements, and structural workings of media content. The pedagogical goal of this approach is to examine not just what the mass media arts are but also where they come from, how they function, and what effects they have on our culture and society. The key to this goal is understanding the naturalized ideologies imbedded in the structural form of popular culture: how the early expressions of popular culture - the minstrel shows, vaudeville, burlesque, pulp fictions, and the early cinema both shaped cultural attitudes and reflected societal notions of race, gender, and socioeconomic norms. Class meetings consist of lectures and in-class discussions that illustrate modern critical approaches to popular culture and the terminology used in presenting critical arguments and ideological viewpoints on these art forms. Reading assignments will support classroom work by presenting students with a diversity of opinion on popular culture and significant examples of that culture in print media. Further, examples of historically significant popular mass media arts will be shown in class and then discussed in relation to the concepts and critical viewpoints covered in lectures. In addition to regular scheduled classes, students will participate in an on-line Media Journal that requires watching, listening to, and reading examples of contemporary mass media art (television programs, motion pictures, comics, graphic novels, etc.). Every two weeks, students will be required to see, read, or hear an assigned contemporary work of popular mass media art and record their critical responses on the online Media Journal that will be accessible to all other members of the class. Grades will be based on three equally weighted objective examinations that will account for 75% of the semester grade. The remaining 25% of the grade will be determined by participation in the online Media Journal.


General Education: GA
Diversity: None
Bachelor of Arts: Arts
Effective: Summer 2012

Note : Class size, frequency of offering, and evaluation methods will vary by location and instructor. For these details check the specific course syllabus.

Search
CourseInfo

Look up course abbreviations

Course descriptions are stored in LionPATH, the University-wide student information system. Please visit the LionPATH Course Catalog to access current course descriptions. At that point, you will be leaving the University Bulletin website.



Skip Popular Searches
  1. Bachelor of Arts Degree Requirements
  2. General Education: United States Cultures and International Cultures
  3. Course Index
  4. Graduate Degree Programs Bulletin
  5. General Education: Arts
  6. General Education: Humanities
  7. General Education: Health and Physical Activity
  8. General Education: Natural Sciences
  9. General Education: Social and Behavioral Sciences
  10. General Education: Writing/Speaking