Introduction to Micrometeorology (3) Physical processes and their measurement in the lowest layers of the atmosphere; application to hydrology, plant systems, and air pollution.
METEO 454 Introduction to Micrometeorology (3)
Students will learn the basic fluid mechanics and thermodynamics of the atmospheric boundary layer (ABL), the lowest few hundred meters to few kilometers of the atmosphere. Specific topics covered include:
1. Introduction to micrometeorology
2. The surface energy budget
3. Radiation balance near the surface
4. Soil heat transfer
5. Air temperature and humidity in the boundary layer
6. Wind distribution in the boundary layer
7. Introduction to viscous flows
8. Introduction to turbulence in the boundary layer
9. Semi-empirical theories of turbulence
Note : Class size, frequency of offering, and evaluation methods will vary by location and instructor. For these details check the specific course syllabus.