Declare Intent to Graduate

To graduate, you must satisfy all the University, college, and major requirements that were in effect at the time of your most recent admission, or re-enrollment, as a degree candidate to the University.


  1. It is your responsibility to notify the University of your intent to graduate.
  2. Confirm the activation period on the Academic Calendar for the dates when you can activate your intent to graduate.
  3. Using the "Apply for Graduation" link within the My Academics page in the LionPATH Student Center, you can set your intent to graduate.
    1. View LionPATH Video Tutorial on How to Apply for Graduation.
    2. Download LionPATH Tutorial in Microsoft Word on How to Apply for Graduation.
  4. After the activation period expires you must contact the appropriate college office to activate or remove your intent to graduate.

Unofficial programs are distributed at the commencement ceremony. If your intent to graduate is activated after the student information has been sent to the publisher, your name will not appear in the program. For fall and spring ceremonies the data is sent during the tenth week of the semester. For the summer ceremony the data is sent during the fifth week.


Graduation Requirements

At the start of the semester in which a student expects to complete the degree requirements listed below, they should follow graduation procedures.

  1. A student must satisfy all University degree requirements that were in effect when the student first scheduled a class after their admission or most recent re-entry as a degree candidate. Both University degree requirements (including General Education) and requirements for a program (such as major, minor, option, honors) are those in effect at the time of a student’s first scheduled class meeting following the most recent admission as a degree candidate. The degree audit provides students with a summary of progress toward meeting the requirements of their degree program. The audit indicates the graduation requirements that have been completed as well as those requirements that still must be satisfied.
  2. Every candidate for a degree must earn a specified number of credits as a degree candidate in courses offered by the University or in approved cooperative programs established by the University Faculty Senate. For a baccalaureate degree, the minimum is 36 of a student's last 60 credits; for an associate degree, the minimum is 18 of a student's last 30 credits.
  3. The last 60 credits required for a candidate's first baccalaureate degree must be earned within five calendar years. An extension of time is granted for intervening military service.
  4. If a student takes course(s) at another institution prior to graduating, an official transcript listing the grades and credits earned must be received by Undergraduate Admissions, 201 Shields Building, University Park, PA 16802-1294, before commencement.
  5. Cumulative grade-point average must be at least a C (2.00) or better.
  6. Students must complete their courses; students with Deferred Grades (DF) or No Grades (NG) will not be allowed to graduate.
  7. A student must earn at least a C grade in each course designated as a C-required course in their major.


Course Substitution

A student is expected to satisfy all University degree requirements (such as General Education, First-Year Seminar and Engagement, United States Cultures and International Cultures, Writing Across the Curriculum) that were in effect when the student first scheduled a class after their admission or most recent re-enrollment as a degree candidate. Requirements for a program (such as major, minor, option, honors) are those in effect at the time of the student's admission or most recent re-enrollment into that program.

A student wishing permission to deviate in any way from program requirements must have permission from the appropriate college dean.

Guidelines for Considering Course Substitution Requests

  1. The course to be substituted should be in the same area as the required course or in a closely related area.
  2. Substitution of a course for a previously failed required course is seldom granted.
  3. Failure to schedule a required course is not sufficient reason for granting permission for a course substitution.

Student Action

  1. When working on your academic plans, discuss the possibility of a substitution with an adviser. Ideally, permission for a substitution should be obtained before you enroll in the course you wish to substitute.
  2. Schedule the course to be substituted. After scheduling it, obtain pertinent forms and directions in the appropriate college dean's office to request the substitution. A course must be scheduled or completed before the substitution can be officially approved and entered on your degree audit.
  3. When a substitution is approved, check your audit to verify that the substitution has been made.