For a limited number of majors at Penn State, incoming first-year students who meet program admission requirements are admitted directly into the major. These majors do not follow the usual entrance-to-major process that sees first-year students admitted to a Penn State college or Division of Undergraduate Studies in pre-major status before matriculating to enrollment in a major once additional program entrance requirements are completed. Instead, first-year students are admitted directly into the major at the time of admission to Penn State, provided all program requirements are met. For this reason, admission restrictions may apply for transfer and/or change-of-major students.
The list of Direct Admission majors can be found below. For more information about the admission process for a specific major, please send a request to the appropriate college, campus, or program contact (listed in the Contact tab on the program page in the Undergraduate Bulletin).
Direct Admit Majors
- Acting, B.F.A.
- Architecture, B.Arch.
- Dance, B.S.
- Digital Journalism and Media, B.A.
- Digital Multimedia Design, B.Des.
- Electro-Mechanical Engineering Technology, B.S. (Altoona)
- Electro-Mechanical Engineering Technology, B.S. (Berks)
- Electro-Mechanical Engineering Technology, B.S. (Fayette, New Kensington, York)
- Graphic Design, B.Des.
- History, B.A. (World Campus only)
- Information Sciences and Technology, B.S. (World Campus only)
- Labor and Employment Relations, B.S. (World Campus only)
- Landscape Architecture, B.L.A.
- Musical Theatre, B.F.A.
- Nursing, R.N. to B.S.N., B.S.N.
- Nursing, B.S.N.
- Organizational and Professional Communication, B.A.
- Organizational and Professional Communication, B.S.
- Organizational Leadership, B.A.
- Organizational Leadership, B.S.
- Premedical-Medical, B.S.
- Recreation, Park, and Tourism Management, B.S. – Professional Golf Management Option
- Security and Risk Analysis, B.S. (World Campus only)
- Surveying Engineering, B.S.
- Theatre, B.F.A. – Design and Technology Option
- Theatre, B.A. - Theatre Studies Option (University Park only)
- Workforce Education and Development, B.S.