A student who is unable to complete a schedule of courses for a given semester may withdraw from enrollment in all courses at the University. Students may withdraw any time up to and including the last day of classes, before the final examination period begins. Withdrawal will terminate enrollment in credit courses for current and future semesters except in the use of summer-only withdrawal. Withdrawal results in the symbol W being recorded as the course grade on a student's official transcript.

If a student is a degree candidate, then at the time of withdrawal from enrollment in courses the student also withdraws from the university as a degree candidate. Thus, to enroll in courses at a later time as a degree candidate, a request for re-enrollment as a degree candidate must be made in accordance with the policies and procedures for re-enrollment. If the person is a nondegree student who wishes to enroll in courses at a later time, the policies and procedures given in Senate Policy 14-00 must be followed. It is important to note that withdrawals will delay normal degree progress and may have financial implications. Students are encouraged to contact their academic adviser to discuss alternatives.

To initiate a withdrawal, students should visit the Office of the University Registrar website, and complete and submit the Withdrawal Form.


Summer-Only Withdrawal

If a student wants to withdraw from summer classes but retain his/her fall class schedule, then the student should enter "Summer Only" as the effective semester on the Withdrawal Form. Re-enrollment is not required following a summer-only withdrawal. Please note, a summer-only withdrawal is not available for newly admitted undergraduate students during their summer of admission. New summer admits must process a regular withdrawal as outlined above.


Military Withdrawal

Military withdrawal only is available to students who:

  1. are actively serving members (Active Duty and Reserve Duty Components) of the U.S. armed services (not a contractor or civilian working for the military), and
  2. are ordered to relocate and, as a result, are unable to meet class attendance and other participation requirements, including web-based activities.

Students called to active duty during a semester or session should initiate a military withdrawal. Students should contact the campus Registrar and present a copy of the military orders with formal correspondence on unit letterhead signed by the commander requesting military withdrawal from Penn State due to orders. The formal correspondence must include the Unit commander contact information and verification of the duration and location of the pending assignment.

Students who process a military withdrawal:

  • will not be charged tuition for the semester of withdrawal.
  • will be charged a housing assessment to cover expenses already incurred in university housing.
  • will have unused meal plan points refunded.
  • are eligible for "military re-enrollment" to the University, assuring the student access to the same major and location as was assigned at the time of withdrawal.
  • will have the re-enrollment fee waived if they are an undergraduate student. There is no re-enrollment fee for graduate students.
  • will have a notation placed in the Special Actions and Notes section of their transcript indicating a "military" withdrawal.